Regular STI tests are necessary, since the majority of STIs do not cause any symptoms. Early detection allows the infection to be treated quickly, and most STIs can be successfully treated if this is the case.
In Switzerland, screening usually tests for the “BIG 5” infections: syphilis, gonorrhoea, chlamydia, hepatitis C and HIV.
Where can I be tested?
a) At Aspasie:
Aspasie organises regular STI screening (around twice a month) at its premises.
The tests are free of charge and can detect HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B, syphilis, gonorrhoea and chlamydia infections.
To find out the dates of forthcoming screening sessions, call Aspasie on +22 732 68 28 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
STI screening can also be carried out at private laboratories or in hospitals.
b) In an Aspasie partner laboratory:
Aspasie works in partnership with a laboratory that offers services at reasonable prices. They are priced as follows and available only to sex workers with an Aspasie voucher:
– HIV test: 30 CHF
– BIG 5 STI test (HIV, hepatitis B, syphilis, gonorrhoea and chlamydia): 80 CHFTypes of samples taken:
– blood sample for HIV, hepatitis B and syphilis screening
– swab taken by the patient from the vagina, throat and/or anus to test for gonorrhoea and chlamydia (urine sample also possible).
To take advantage of these services you can obtain a voucher from Aspasie on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. and Wednesdays from 9.30 a.m. to 12 p.m. or by making an appointment on +22 732 68 28.
c) At the Hôpitaux Universitaires de Genève:
The anonymous HIV screening service at Geneva University Hospitals (Hôpitaux Universitaires de Genève – HUG) offers consultations and anonymous testing for HIV and STIs by appointment on Monday to Friday from 9.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Appointments can be made:
– by telephone on +41 22 372 96 17 (in French or Spanish)
– online at www.testvih.ch (enter the appointment language you require)
– HIV: 55 CHF
– HIV, hepatitis B, syphilis, gonorrhoea and chlamydia: 155 CHF
Types of samples taken:
– blood samples to test for hepatitis A, B or C and syphilis
– Urine PCR test for chlamydia and gonorrhoea (it is important that you do not urinate for two hours before taking the test)
You will receive the HIV result straight away (approximately 20 minutes after the test).
HUG, consultation des tests anonymes HIV (anonymous HIV screening consultations)
Rue Gabrielle-Perret-Gentil 4, 1211 Geneva 14
Main entrance, 2nd floor
d) At Checkpoint Genève:
A service offered only to men who have had sex with men, as well as transgender people and their partners.
Consultations are without an appointment and provide information and advice, screening, treatment and follow-up care on an anonymous and confidential basis on:
· Mondays 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
· Wednesdays 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
· Fridays 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Sexual health medical consultations are by appointment during opening hours. For an appointment, telephone +41 22 906 40 30.
Mental health appointments are also available (psychological, psychiatric and psychotherapy consultations):
Rue du Grand-Prè 9
Tel: 022 906 40 30
How often is it necessary?
Sex workers and their clients who protect themselves against risks are advised to seek sexual health screening once per year.
More regular tests (every six months) are advised for those who frequently participate in risky practices.